Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Rip Van Zemple

It was apparent to me when leaving for the Philippines I’d have some adjusting to do without the comfort of a hot shower or my favorite pepperoni and green olive Pequod’s pizza, but never once did I think about my actual return to civilization.

As I walked up to the Ayala Mall in Cebu to meet my friend, Jad, I looked around in awe. I started laughing out loud because I felt as if I had never seen a mall or even a Starbucks before and knew I just left Chicago only six weeks ago. The culture shock made me feel like I was Rip Van Zemple and contemplate whether I was really ready to return. As much as I joked about living in what seemed like the early 1900s there is something to be said about the simple life I was living. Fortunately before I make a complete transition back to Chicago I have a little time to explore.

Thanks to Jad I saw a few places I never would have visited including Cebu (a beautiful city surrounded by mountains), Dumaguete (a university city that seemed a lot like Ormoc just cleaner and no pineapple on every corner, but the best dolphin watching in the world), and Siquijor (a quiet little island known for white sand beaches and witchcraft).

Be sure to stay at Jad’s resort if you ever get a chance to visit Siquijor (www.princesabulakna.com). It is the most peaceful paradise with a rainbow of flowers, sweet smells, and so many fireflies that the trees sparkle (and why Siquijor is also known as the Isle del Fuego).

Next stops are Banaue for rice terraces, Sagada for the hanging coffins, and Boracay for the beach…

A view of Cebu
The Ayala Mall of Culture Shock
A Shanty Town in Cebu.  Cebu also has beautiful mansions but the twenty foot concrete walls they put up for protection make it hard to photograph (plus not as interesting to me). 
Basketball is to the Philippines as soccer is to the rest of the world.  Everywhere you go you'll find people playing basketball even in 100 degree heat.
That's what I call water front property!
Another Shanty Town in Cebu
About 80% of the Filipino population is Catholic so churches are also everywhere you look

A view outside of Dumaguete
Dumaguete
Touring Siquijor...



My Filipino boxer body guards.  Maybe I can bring them home as a souvenir?!?





No comments:

Post a Comment